Since starting my music therapy career, I’ve worked as a full-time employee, contracted music therapist, solo private practitioner, and co-owner of a combined private practice and teaching studio with a team of 15. In that time, I’ve also started and grown a thriving online business alongside many other revenue-generating pursuits.
Over the last 12 years, I have crafted a career that is made up of both clinical and non-clinical work. It has taken endless experimentation, self-education, and innovation to achieve a balance that best suits my strengths, personality, and lifestyle. In its current form, my career is fulfilling, fun, and financially lucrative.
My goal in creating this course is to give YOU the tools, perspective, and permission to develop your ideal career, too. There are so many possibilities for using our unique skills and knowledge not only to impact many people in a positive way, but also to reach and exceed our full earning potential. Innovative Income for Music Therapists is the resource that I hope will help you turn those possibilities into your reality.
I. The Innovator’s Mindset (50 minutes)
In this section, participants will focus on better understanding their motivation to pursue additional avenues of earning income, ask the right questions to determine which avenues are a good fit, and learn how to prepare for potential challenges.
1. Knowing Your “Why”
2. Exploring Your Interests
3. Becoming Courageous
4. Overcoming Opposition
II. Generating Income Offline (75 minutes)
In this section, participants will learn about 6 offline methods of generating income using their music therapy training, knowledge of skills.
2. Providing Music Experiences
3. Facilitating Groups & Classes
4. Speaking & Presenting
6. Growing a Team
III. Generating Income Online (100 minutes)
In this section, participants will learn about 6 online methods of generating income using their music therapy training, knowledge of skills.
1. Creating Resources
2. Providing Services
3. Developing Continuing Education
5. Working with Affiliates & Partners
6. Writing E-Books
IV. The Innovator’s Path (75 minutes)
In this section, participants will receive guidance for integrating new streams of revenue with their clinical work and learn how to navigate a non-traditional music therapy career, as well as the long-term implications.
1. Balancing Clinical & Non-Clinical Work
2. Changing Course
3. Celebrating Your Success
4. Leaving A Legacy
Final Evaluation (20 minutes)
- Participant will be able to assess areas for professional growth and set goals. (BCD IV.A.1)
- Participant will be able to engage in collaborative work with colleagues both within and outside of the music therapy profession. (BCD IV.A.4)
- Participant will be able to develop and enhance technology skills. (BCD IV.A.7)
- Participant will be able to engage in a variety of business management tasks, including (but not limited to) marketing, payroll, managing team members, and contracts (BCD IV. B.16)
- Participant will be able to serve as a confident ambassador and advocate for the profession of music therapy. (BCD IV.B.20)
This course features the experiences and wisdom of 8 successful music therapists who have also crafted unique careers in the field of music therapy. These inspiring innovators share the lessons they have learned along this path and their best advice for others in our profession who want to pave their own way, as well.
Have questions about the contents of this course? Simply send me an email (email@example.com), and I will answer you directly.
Looking for the e-book? Click here.